[Sca-cooks] Cheese and appetizers (was)Feast costs/budgets

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 21 04:42:38 PST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 2:42 AM, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

>> From: Bhadra <bhadradharma at gmail.com>
>> Ahhhh yes, sorry, but, we were assigned what to bring
>> By order of rank and non armigerous persons such as
>> myself Are to bring appetizers. Sorry that was unclear.
>

> Ah.  Thank you.  Rather like the system of "if your SCA name begins
> with A-D, bring a dessert...".  My slightly fuzzy brain was
> conjuring up some kind of arcane culinary sumptuary law, in which
> armigers are permitted soup but not stew, salads are restricted to
> Laurels, and only Counts may serve sausage...
>
> Hear Brighid babble...

I suppose it's conceivable (and this is not a comment on the OP) that
non-armigers might be considered, by whomever made up this system, to
be less experienced in the likes and dislikes of the group, and
therefore to be less "trustworthy" where entrees are concerned, or
perhaps less inclined to expend a lot of effort for people that don't
know too well.

Along similar lines, all other things being equal, for a Thanksgiving
potluck, are you going to assign the newbie (and yes, I know there are
people like me who were in the SCA for seven to ten years or more
without getting an AoA -- work with me, here) the bread-and-butter
pickles or the turkey/ham/etc. ?

I'm not saying it's _good_ reasoning, mind you, just that it may be
what they were thinking, or at least part of it.

Adamantius