[Sca-cooks] AoAs and such (was Cheese and appetizers)

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Feb 21 11:46:19 PST 2008

Bhadra wrote:
>That is really nice of you Dragon! Truly chivalrous.

I do my best to live up to ideals, I do have my moments though (some
people think I am arrogant or difficult, but it isn't without purpose
or backing when I am perceived in those ways).

In the case of championing the recognition of others, it bothers me
to see people getting awards who may (or in some cases, may not)
deserve them while other folks worthy of recognition go unrecognized
for far too long. The "cool kids" aren't the ones I champion, I do
this for the quiet ones who are always there working without a
whisper of complaint, the ones who everyone relies on but nobody ever
seems to show gratitude to. These are the people who should be
recognized but are not.

I hope that by doing so, I will inspire others to contemplate similar
actions. A lot of us say (to varying degrees of veracity) that we
aren't in it for the awards. Even if that is 100% true, it just feels
good to be recognized for one's efforts. It is even better when that
recognition comes as a surprise to the recipient and I do my best to
keep things under wraps while actively enlisting people to help write
recommendations. The day I received my AoA was quite an emotional
high, I didn't expect it and it was wonderful to know that others
cared enough to recommend me for it.

And this goes hand in hand with the recognition of the cooking crews
at feasts. When we did 12th Night in Caid this year, I headed the
kitchen crew. Just before the final course, the royals called me out
and publicly thanked me to a standing ovation and even an ode was
composed in my honor. I asked that the royals would allow me to have
the servers and cooks come out as well and they agreed. I told the
feast hall that I was simply the captain, I lead the crew but the
real work and the real thanks were due to those who gave up the day
(and for some, a few days in advance) to work hard and make it
happen. This led to another ovation and the King and Queen gave each
of the crew a medallion as a token of their respect. I would have had
it no other way.

Dragon