[Sca-cooks] kingdom fundraising

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 24 15:34:29 PST 2008

There is a distinct difference between padding and making a profit on the
feast or the event.  Because of the way things are done in Ansteorra, I have
to plan for a profit to insure against a serious loss.  If you can provide
good measure and make a profit, why not.  I'm of the opinion that a
successful event  should return about 10% on the money risked as a hedge
against those times you take a loss.  The one I used to hear was, "we have
to take a loss on events because as a non-profit we can't make a profit on
them."

The first feast I did, we had bad weather, causing a drop in the expected
attendance.  Between the feast and the tavern I was running, we cleared
$1.84.  I've been a firm believer in planning the break-even point ever
since.  The feasts I've done tend to cost from $3.50 to $5 per plate and
were sold at $5 to $7 per plate, to include covering a finite but not
necessarily known (before the feast) number of comps (don't ask, it's a 25+
year old tradition).  For what they got, I don't think anyone was
overcharged.

The most embarassing profit we made was about $800 on the feast, mostly from
falling meat prices when farms pushed an excess of beef, pork and chicken to
market just before the event.  The site got changed and we had a profit from
a reduced site cost, giving us about another $1,200 (IIRC).  The windfall
was used to eliminate site fees at our next event.

Financial committees exist so that there is oversight of how money is being
spent.  During my first turn as seneschal (when the treasurer was a deputy
seneschal), I could have used the funds as I saw fit.  I did see some
seneschals blithely ignore their populace's opinions about how to spend
funds to the result of a lot of internal strife.  I'm happy to see the
treasurers as a separate office and finance committees to oversee
expenditures.  Finance committes are about proper corporate finacial
controls and accountability, not about budget padding.

Bear