[Sca-cooks] "blue" blackberry sauce?

Karin Burgess avrealtor at prodigy.net
Sun Feb 24 21:50:51 PST 2008

I neglected to add the title :
  Sapor celeste de estate (Heavenly blue sauce for the summer.)

  Sapor is "A quality perceptible to the sense of taste; flavor." estate translates into summer and celeste is roughly blue sky.  Also Latin for Heaven.  I am wondering of the translation is actually off then.  Perhaps it just meant something like "A taste of heaven" ?

  -Muiriath

Margaret Rendell <m_rendell at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

this is kind of the opposite of what I'd expect.

if the berries are acting like litmus (as I know many flowers do), they would tend towards redder if made acid and bluer if made alkali... so verjuice would tend to make them redder...but you left it out...so obviously this is unhelpful and it's some other effect entirely.

I do know that the subjective dividing lines between red/purple/blue appear to have changed since SCA period, so it could be that, too...

Margaret/Emma
Krae Glas, Lochac/Melbourne, Australia