[Sca-cooks] late italian feast

Ang Malone alm4cu at localnet.com
Mon Feb 25 19:23:59 PST 2008

Okay.  I have looked at the two recipes in both books, Medieval
kitchen and the neopolitan collection, both the original recipes and
the redactions are  different.

BTW, the feast I did was for 54 people.  I had a budget of $8 for
person.  Maybe later I will print the menu, etc.

I don't know if this will help in the long run, but I think that for
both the chicken dishes it matters to cook them in the sauce, that it
really does enhance the flavor.

The recipe I cooked of Lemon chicken from the medieval chicken I
browned the chicken in a chicken frying pan with the sliced onions in
pork fatback, then (because we didn't have a kitchen facility to
speak off), transferred it to a roasting salted the chicken a little,
sprinkled the spice mix on, then took the almond milk/meat broth,
brought it to a boil in the electric roasting pans and cooked the
chicken as instructed in the recipe, and then added the lemon juice.
returned it to a boil and then served.

for the curious, here is the recipe from the medieval kitchen:

1 free-range chicken
1 c. almonds
2 c. meat broth (I used chicken broth)
2 medium small onions
2 ounces fresh pork fatback ( I used un-smoked bacon--can't remember
what they called it--got it from a butcher shop)
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp strong spice mix   (: 1/4 c. black pepper, 1/4 c. long pepper
(use black pepper
   instead), 3/4 tsp. ground cloves and 1 whole nutmeg, grated )

Blanch the almonds and use the broth to prepare almond milk. You will
need about 1 1/4 cups.  Cut the chicken into serving pieces and pat
dry.  Slice the onions.
Cut the fat into coarse dice and render it in a casserole, then add
the chicken and onions and  brown on all sides over medium heat.
Remove the chunks of unrendered fat.  Salt the chicken to taste and
sprinkle with spices.
Add the almond milk and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer,
covered, over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes.  When the chicken is
done, check for seasoning, then add the lemon juice.  Return to the
boil for a moment then serve.
The sauce will be quite liquid.  If a thicker sauce is desired, use a
little less almond milk.