[Sca-cooks] A question about knives

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Feb 29 18:35:45 PST 2008

Hmm.

I have a Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition set that I bought some years ago
and have added bits to in the interim. My absolute favorite knife was (I
*think*) a 5" boning knife or maybe it was a 5" utility knife. The back of
the blade was straight and there was very little taper in the blade--it
was pretty much the same width along its length. I loved that knife. Which
is, of course, why that was the one that I dropped, handle first, onto a
linoleum floor, and why it now sits with the blade in two pieces on the
kitchen counter where I can look at it and be sad. (And yes, I have just
discovered that I can call them on Monday about it. ;-))

Anyway.

The way I decide what sort of knife I need is to see where I run into
frustration with kitchen tasks (this is really awkward, there's got to be
a better way) and then I figure out what sort of knife will fix the
problem. I rarely use the larger knives I own, even the chef's knife,
preferring the smaller utility blades.

Margaret FitzWilliam