[Sca-cooks] Once again, Tentative New Year's Menus

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 2 17:51:47 PST 2008

Hullo, the list!

As some of you may know, this has been kind of a rough year for my
family, with an assortment of major life changes, aches and pains, and
a whole lot of still-pending reorganization of our lives and living
space.

So, after having thought about it and discussed with She Who Must be
Obeyed my feeling that we probably didn't want to make a big deal of
the Lunar New Year this time around, we are naturally making a big
deal of the Lunar New Year.

Next year, I can see. My astrological cycle begins (IOW, it's my birth
year, the year of the Ox, begins next year around this time), it's
supposed to be a good year for me, no more bloody mortgages, a
presidential inauguration in the same week as New Year's _and_ my
birthday, a new stadium being built for My Bums and their new monster
pitcher, Evil Spawn graduates from high school, various family medical
decisions will have been finalized and acted upon, so we're probably
looking at a banner year, so of course we have to be prepared for the
Party of the Century.

But this year, I am informed we're going to have a Happy *&#%^@ New
Year or Die Trying, Darnit. It's conceivable there may be just
slightly less scrubbing of bathroom tile grout with a toothbrush than
usual, but we'll do our best.

Well, okay, this being an executive decision and me being something of
a grunt, I have just been informed by the Powers That Be of our
tentative menus for New Year's Eve (which rarely changes much as the
dishes are traditional, symbolic and rather formulaic) and New Year's
Day, which usually has some things in common with the menus of other
years, but does change somewhat. As always, the claim is that we're
planning on things being very modular, very conducive to advance prep,
and less labor intensive than the year before.

Of course, we lie.

So, we're looking at (more or less, give or take, plus or minus):

Wednesday Night (the New Year arrives with the rising of the new moon
at 10:46 PM, our time, but we just use sundown as our guide) --

	-Corn Egg-flower Soup with Crab or Chicken Velvet Dumplings
(undecided which)
	-Poached Chicken with dipping sauces (this may morph into salt-baked
chicken)
	-The Usual Fried Fish (2 large, Whole, species TBD)
	-Steamed Lop Cheung (sweet Chinese sausages)
	-Some Kinda Shrimp Dish, TBD, been thinking of steaming in Xiaoxing
Wine
	-Blanched Green Veg, anything from Broccoli to Bok Toy to Watercress
	-Fruit

Thursday, a.k.a. "New Year's Day" --

	-Dried Bean Curd And Black Mushroom Soup
	-Phoenix Platter of Ham Slices and Poached Chicken, more dipping sauces
	-Soy Sauce Chicken
	-Five-Spice Beef (boneless shin with tendon intact, a.k.a. cold
Chinese Pot Roast)
	-Vegetarian Roast Duck (stuffed, braised beancurd sheets)
	-Jai -- a.k.a. Buddhist Delight, this year alleged to include dried
scallops and oysters with the traditional vegetables and cellophane
noodles
	-Spring Rolls (sometimes we cheat and sneak jai into spring roll
wrappers and fry them, then everyone eats the jai instead of staring
at it ;-)  )
	-Twice-Cooked Pork Belly (already cooked once), this could become
Sweet And Sour Pork depending on my mood, in which case it would be
the Real Deal with pickled ginger in the sauce, not that baby-aspirin-
looking stuff. Cantonese people tend to find Sweet And Sour Pork
screamingly funny, anyway, since you're supposed to use fish unless
you're a barbarian... I, of course, am an unabashed barbarian in
certain respects
	-Shrimp With Lobster Sauce -- once again, we've been hoodwinked, and
this is very different, and much better, than the phlegmy-looking
stuff you see in restaurants. This is a rather piquant black bean (as
in fermented soybeans, not frijoles negros) sauce with ginger, garlic,
shallots, dried chili flakes if I can sneak them in, fatty ground
pork, and eggs stirred in at the end. Ceandra requested this one. I am
holding out for...
	-Barbecued Prawns in Garlic Hoisin Sauce. 'Nuff said. We'll probably
do both.
	-Steamed Seafood Lion's Heads (basically mixed seafood meatballs,
with water chestnuts, black mushrooms, shrimp, fish, etc.)
	-The Usual Battery of Pickled Vegetable Relish-y things: shallots,
pickled bamboo shoots in chili oil, gherkins in soy sauce, ginger
pickles, pickled shallots and shrimp (this is actually a Vietnamese
thing, but we like them)
	-The Usual Battery of Fresh and Canned Fruits, with almond and/or
mango "tofu", which is really an agar-based jelly...

Beer, Chinese tea, and Real Coffee will be available all day, and we
might even have some of that nasty sweet bubbly stuff some people
like...

Usually what happens is we prepare all this, and may not actually
finish and serve everything unless lots of people are present and
don't actually seem about to burst into tears at the thought of more
food. There's an unsubstantiated rumor of fresh, raw, local Long
Island oysters arriving on my doorstep on Thursday afternoon. If that
happens, I'm going to have to suffer through it, bite the bullet, and
eat them. The things we must do for our art...

As usual, we don't really invite anybody, we don't turn anybody away,
anybody coming through the door leaves their troubles outside, and
more or less agrees to share our kharma for a year. It's always worked
out splendidly.

Traditionally, we tend to not be online, respond to e-mails, or pick
up the phone between sundown Wednesday and sundown Thursday, so if I
don't speak to you all before then, Happy New Year!

Adamantius