[Sca-cooks] writing for the Florilegium

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 23 17:22:03 PST 2008

I asked Gianotta about possibly publishing her paper on Muslims in
Sicily in the Florilegium and she replied to me here. I would
normally have answered her by email but I also hope that others here
might consider writing a paper for the Florilegiium or sending me a
copy of one they've already written, so I'm sending this to the list
as well as to her.
<<<
I'm not planning on publishing the food portion of this paper
elsewhere, and I would be honored to have it on the Florilegium. I've
also been researching the dance and costume of the Sicilian dancing
girls at the court, that I do plan for another paper, maybe for TI.>>>

I don't know anything about Sicilian dancing girls, but then I doubt
too many others do either. So an article on this would be nice as
well. I assume this is a variation on Middle Eastern/belly dancing
but don't know for sure.

I have articles in the Florilegium which were first published in TI
and I have articles which were first published in the Florilegium and
then later picked up by TI. One of the advantages of publishing in
the Florilegium first is that you can then change or update the
article as you learn more or get comments back from readers. Updating
an article is much more difficult once it has been released in a
paper publication. I have no problem with an article being published
elsewhere as well as the Florilegium and since you retain the
copyright with an article published in TI, they as well should have
no problem with this.

<<< If you would like to see the first version of this paper, which I
did as a general overview of Sicilian Muslim history during the
Norman reign, I'd be happy to pass it on, but I am expanding it to
include some information on the colony of Lucera in Apulia as well as
expanding the recipes section >>>

Lucera? Where's that? Yes, I would like to see your first version of
this paper. If you are going to quickly replace it with another one
though I would probably hold off publishing it until later if it is
going to require a lot of editing. Or, the first version of this
article might make a good introductory article to the subject along
with a longer article with more details. There are several articles
in the Florilegium where there is both a short and a longer, more
comprehensive article. There are advantages to each.

<<<... it's a PDF file with images, but I can edit it to a Word file
without images if you'd like. >>>

Since I keep all of the Florilegium master files in Word or RTF
format, getting something in Word or RTF is preferable than getting
something in PDF. I can translate from PDF to Word but errors are
more likely to creep in. Plus more work for me. The same goes with
preferring electronic copy to paper copy. I used to have an OCR
program, but I don't even know where it is right now or whether it
will work with my current configuration. Since I can handle images
and drawings, if you have permission to use them, I'd prefer Word or
RTF with images. The reason that many files in the Florilegium don't
have images is because they come from mail lists and such which don't
handle or allow images.

I know that many SCA folks spend a fair amount of time researching
and writing formal papers for A&S contests and that even at such
contests few people get a chance to read such papers in detail. I
really wish I could get more people in the SCA to send me such papers
for the Florilegium. Not only does this give them some word-fame
across the Known World, but it lets others than just those people who
made it to that one event be able to learn from their work. I know
that Mistress Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester, recently the TI
editor, has said she considered having her papers published in the
Florilegium and elsewhere as one of the reasons she was given her
Laurel.

If you are a Laurel, perhaps you might suggest writing a paper for
the Florilegium (and/or elsewhere) to your students. Or if somebody
here is on a (the?) Laurels list, perhaps you would work with me to
post this suggestion there.

Thanks,
    Stefan
--------