[Sca-cooks] firing up a clay oven

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 2 06:37:36 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
If you want to get things up to heat, whatever fuel you use, blow air
on the fire. Bellows if you have them, but one of those air mattress
pumps, the kind that will hold a charge, will work too ;-) I can get
from dead cold to welding heat in half an hour.  > > > > > > > >

You make a good point.  If you want an oven to heat to 400F, then having the
heat source running 1000F will get the mass heated up more quickly.  Letting
a fire simply burn at its own rate will heat the mass of the oven . . .
stoking and force-feeding oxygen will intensify the heat and get the oven
hotter faster, in my experience with mass heating.

niccolo difrancesco