[Sca-cooks] Caid Twelfth Night

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 6 17:01:25 PST 2008

I would like to add a delighted report on a Twelfth Night feast
yesterday, headed by Lord Dragon Georglev syn Rudelin, whom I am
unabashed at having recommended to the post of Feast Chef for a kingdom
event for the very first time. [Whereupon he immediately tapped me back
as the event's sous-chef, which jolly well served me right.] The menu
was accessible by any "picky" diner, while medieval sophistication could
be added through the options of period sauces. We saw some seriously
sensible delegation skills, including sending out the roasted meats to
be executed by a member of his barony whose people had been "meat men"
for generations, and the breads to be baked by Lord Egil and Lady
Dananir [who were also co-ordinating the merchants for the day, whew
busy day!] I didn't even know these two worthies baked -- well I know
now. Hee. Plot plot scheme.

Drinks were handled by the master of Caid's Brewer's Guild and his
apprentice, with separate staffing for its dispensation. Actually,
staffing was pleasingly plentiful all around! Usually, half the
volunteers flake and that's when the weather is GOOD, which this day was
not.

Dragon is posting the recipes to the Caid list already, in parts. I will
relay them here, with his permission.

First Course:
Mushroom Soup [creamy creamy good and you -know- how SCA folks generally
love mushrooms - a great starter]
Grilled Sausage [home made]
Lentil Salad [Just cooked enough to be crunchy - not your father's
boring lentil soup!]
Dark Sweet Rye Bread
Spiced White hippocras

Second Course:
Roast Beef
Roast Chicken
Assorted Sauces [Three of them: Garlic/Walnut, Orange and
Horseradish/Almond, with big thanks to Lady Urtatim for that long post
to SCA-Cooks last week! Seriously, you saved the day.]
Baked Leeks [Also creamy, but it was a good day for creamy things. One
of Dragon's signature dishes]
Asparagus Pilaf [This should probably be described as asparagus -and-
rice pilaf]
Cheese Pastry “Castles” [a sensible soteltie -- sugarpaste would have
melted on such a rainy day]
Apple cider

Third Course: [By which time the diners were weeping]
Pomme Doryles (Meatballs) and Ginger Carrots
Challah Bread
Spiced Red hippocras

Dessert Course:
Quince Flan [a chilled custard with a hot quince sauce poured over -
quince is an ancient Mediterranean tradition for the Day of the Three Kings]
Sweet Date and Nut Bread [Kind of reminiscent of ma'moul, in a long roll
and cut crosswise]
Fresh Fruit [what looked good in the store that day were tangerines and
honeydew melons]

Their Majesties did request the kitchen crew into the hall for their
round of applause, and in addition did present them with tokens of
thanks. I had secretly commissioned a short work about "the dragon chef"
from "speed poet" Lord Secca, which he did recite for the crowd's
amusement and edification.

Then it was Back To Work. Fortunately the excellent Twelfth Night
Staffing situation included a squad of washer-uppers, which mostly
liberated the cooks from most of this. Huzzah for the cleanup crew, truly.

This did I see, cook, and wash up:
Selene Colfox, Caid