[Sca-cooks] Problems with sausage

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:13:55 PST 2008

I'm really enjoying making and researching sausage and I want to do more
presentations and feasts using cased sausage. But I've run into problems.
The main problem is that every sausage I've made has been too lean and
a little dry. For 12th Night I even added lard into the mix to get enough
fat into them but all that happened was once cooked the outer surface
was greasy and they were still too lean.

Talking with Master Modius made me think that one of the problems is there
is no filler in the forcemeat. I can see how filler of breadcrumb, rice, groats
or whatever can hold in the fat but in redacting the recipes I see no kind
of filler mentioned. So is filler the secret or did period sausage stay lean?
Both my bratwurst and zervelat were tasty but didn't have that rich mouth
feel I associate with a good sausage.

Any help?
Gunthar