[Sca-cooks] Problems with sausage

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 7 13:08:28 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
> On Jan 7, 2008 1:34 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
> <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> 20-25% is pretty common, and should do the job for you.
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> Is that by volume or by weight? (Makes a BIG difference ;-)

Snort. Volume's for suckers ;-).

Let me rephrase that. When baking or cooking in large quantities,
volume measures of anything but water-based liquids tend to prove to
be rather inexact. Therefore, I mean weight. Or mass... > > > > > >

Agreed.  I was rather inexact myself.  I use 30-35% when using misc scrap
that includes some lean.  I end up in the range of 20% to 25% actual fat
tissue content (closer to 25% when making beef sausages).  When using belly
or other material that is nearly zero lean, I aim directly at that 20% to
25% range.  This is all by weight, and using the gross total weight of
sausage to be made.

25lbs of resulting sausage means I need to get about 5 to 6.5 pounds fat
tissue . . . or 7 to 8.5 lbs of fatty miscellaneous scrap tissue . . . to
grind into the mix.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo