[Sca-cooks] Goatee stories - Rockrose

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:10:13 PST 2008

I like goatee stories. As one of you blew my bubble on goatie goats who
ate coffee beans, therefore, the discovery of coffee in the Middle East!
Here's another - now I've got another one:
    Goats came in handy as laudanum collecting devices from rockrose.
While they munched on the plant, the oil stuck to their beards. Annually
the beards were cut and the oil extracted, i.e. those that the pharaohs
did not keep for themselves. They glued the goatees to their chins in
order to smell good and that is how the word for this type of beard came
into being. The other goatees were heated, which released the oils.
Laudanum came to substitute ambergris.
    Has any tasted rockrose seed bread? What does it taste like?
Suey