[Sca-cooks] Weights for spices? Apothecary or Standard for otherFood?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 9 06:20:03 PST 2008

I replied to this from the road.  The message was waiting on moderator
approval and appears to have gone into limbo.

Spices would commonly have been measured by apothecary weights.  If the
measure is other than apothecary weights, you run into the problem of each
German state having its own value for the pfund running from about 450 grams
to 560 grams.  Since Welser uses the term "lott" (Lot), she is probably
using the pfund rather than the Troyes pound that was the basis of
apothecary measure.

The pfund is divided into 16 unza or 32 lot.  This would make a lott roughly
15 grams.  Cassell's German Dictionary gives the value as "approximately 10
grams," but makes no allowances for the differences in the variation of the
pfund.  15 grams is also roughly 1/2 of a troy ounce, while 10 grams is just
under 1/32 (11.66 g) of a troy pound.  I'd probably go with the 15 gram
measure.

If you have anymore questions, fire away.

Bear