[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan?

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 03:53:55 PST 2008

I always assumed these types of pies were made without pans, using a thick stand-alone crust (sometimes made with rye flour) that was not intended to be eaten.  That way the cook could make any shape he wanted, such as a fish or a lobster.  Robert May, although post period (1685), has a number of pie designs throughout his cookbook that would have to be made free-hand.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.