[Sca-cooks] Ideas for Subtleties...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 22:01:07 PST 2008

VATEL, oh heck yeah.  It's out of period but most of the action appears
to be in a kitchen that's been there since the previous century.  Not
much that we see is SCA-illegal either.  You know you are a SCA cook
when you go to this movie with other SCA cooks and giggle and shriek in
places other people consider inappropriate... OMG that happened to me
last twelfth night...

The sugared fruits looked a little newfangled but hey, he was cooking in
a royal kitchen, he could afford that much sugar.

Not all subtleties need to be sugary.  We had cheese-pastry "castles"
embellishing one of our courses at Twelfth Night a couple weeks ago.
And my boar's head was just sculpted pie paste, concealing a container
of mincemeat [see, The Gest Of The Boar's Hed,
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pig-heads-msg.html]

Sincerely, Selene