[Sca-cooks] Sausage results

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 08:52:12 PST 2008

> Sounds wonderful. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the recipe,> would you???> > Kiri (whose mouth is watering!!)
I thought I'd posted it before but here it is:
Zervelat
Das Kochbuch der Sabrina Welserin (c 1553)

Wie man zerwulawirstlach machen soll Erstlich nempt 4 pfund schweinflesch vom zepfflin/ vnnd 2 pfund speck, das last klainhacken vnnd thiet 6 lott saltz darain/ ain pfund geriben kes, .3 lot pffeffer, 3 lott umber, wen es gehackt jst, so knetten das als darein rerlach 3 lott, ain ½  lott negellach, ain halb lott muscatnus, zway lott zuker, die derm mus man saubermachen vnd nachmals gilben, darf man nit gar ain ½ lott saffera, man muss y binden auff vaiden seitten, auch vnngeferlich ain quertlin Frisch wasser darangiessen, man mus auch das saltz, jmber, pfeffer nit gar darainthon, sol les vor versuchen vnnd darnach machen, man soll sy sieden vnngefarlich als 2 air, sas gewirtz vnnd saltz mus man dareinton nach aines guten gedoncken, man mus zuuor versuchen.

Translation by Mistress Clara von Ulm
“First take four pounds of pork from the tender area of the leg and two pounds of bacon. Let this be finely chopped and add to it three ounces of salt, one pound of grated cheese, one and one half ounces of pepper  and one and one half ounces of ginger. When it is chopped then knead the following into it, one and one half ounces cinnamon, one fourth ounce of cloves, one fourth ounce of nutmeg and one ounce of sugar. The sausage skins must be cleaned and subsequently colored yellow, for which one needs not quite one fourth ounce of saffron. Tie it up on both ends and pour in approximately one quart of fresh water. The entire amount of salt, ginger and pepper should not be added, taste it first and season it accordingly. It should be cooked about as long as to cook eggs. The seasoning and the salt must be put into it according to one’s own discretion, it must be tried first.”

Gunthar