[Sca-cooks] Cheese Please!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 23:17:16 PST 2008

Maeva asked:
<<< First, are you planning on making all these cheeses yourself? I
would love
to know where are you getting the recipes for these? Mozzarella I know,
but some of the others I am  not familiar with. >>>

I was interested in hearing the answers to your questions, as well. I
assume she is making the cheeses herself. If you've never visited
there, you might be interested in browsing through the various cheese
files in the FOOD section of the Florilegium.  I know that I've put
most of the cheese recipes given on this list in there and a lot of
"technique" commentary. For instance:
blue-cheese-msg   (20K)  9/23/07    Period blue cheeses.
fresh-cheeses-msg (44K)  6/ 1/06    Fresh cheeses such as cream
cheese and
                                        cottage cheese. Non-aged
cheeses.
whey-cheeses-msg  (32K)  6/ 1/06    Cheeses such as ricotta made from
the liquid
                                        left after making other cheeses.
cheesemaking-msg (126K)  7/28/06    Comments and info. on
cheesemaking. Recipes.

It sounds like you've done some cheesemaking yourself, so if you have
additional comments on this, I'd love to have them either on this
list or by email to add to these files.

You might also be interested in this file in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPT
section as well.
About-Cheese-art  (12K)  3/ 4/05    "About Cheese" A tranlation by
Aelianora de
                                        Wintringham of a 1556 letter
on Swiss
                                        cheese and dairy products.

<<< Whose little cheese cave is full of proto goat brie and white
mold is
covering everything in the cave. (My cave is a wine cooler.) >>>

By "wine cooler" do you mean one of the small refrigerator units,
often with glass doors? Is the white mold covering the inside of the
unit or just the cheese which is in there? Does this mean you can
only age one type of cheese at a time?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas