[Sca-cooks] Chickpea flour, barley flour

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Jan 24 09:23:02 PST 2008

Christiane wrote:
>I like to poke around the regional Italian sites
>for unusual recipes, and found this one for
>Carnival Biscuits from Puglia (Apulia):
>ingredients 550g of butter, 350g of sugar, 500g
>of chick pea flour, 500g of barley flour, 4
>eggs, 2 egg yolks, grated lemon and orange peel,
>cinnamon, milk. making it N.B. Use very finely
>ground 'farinelle'; the butter can also be
>substituted by 'olio extravergine di oliva'. In
>a bowl, cream the butter and add the sugar,
>eggs, fruit peel and cinnamon. Mix together and
>pour the liquid into the center of the flour
>shaped into a round crown on the table. Knead
>well. Let the dough rest for an hour, then use
>your imagine to make shapes suitable for a
>carnival. Cook in an oven at 160°C for 15
>minutes. What struck me is the combination of
>chickpea and barley flours, and the orange and
>lemon peel. Struck me as very "peasanty," and
>seems to have some Arab influences, with the
>sugar, orange, and lemon peel. The combination
>of chickpea and barley flour seems to me Greek,
>as is the shaping of the bread-like product in
>festive "sacred" shapes. So, where can I get
>chickpea and barley flour around here (near
>Philadelphia, Pa.)? Would Indian stores have it?
>Health food stores? Should I order it online?
>Gianotta

Hi there, I'm Dragon Georgiev syn Rudak, I'm new
here... from the Barony of Calafia in the Kingdom of Caid.

Much of Italian cooking was indeed influenced by
both Greek (and some would argue Greek is
actually Turkish) cooking as well as by a heavy
influence from the Arabs during the expansion of Islam.

As for obtaining the flour, chick pea flour is
known as "besan" and should be readily available
in an Indian market. I would suggest a health
food store such as Whole Foods or a similar
market for the barley flour. You could also order
online from either Bob's Red Mill or King Arthur Flour.

King Arthur only has the barley flour but you can get both from Bob's.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/

Dragon