[Sca-cooks] Chickpea and Barley Flour

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jan 28 09:57:53 PST 2008

> Gianott and Johnna or was it Dragon? wrote why make it yourself if you
> can buy it ready made? Well, I have always felt poor, which is not
> exactly true, but I scrape so if I have the raw product I make it from
> scratch. Perhaps that is why I deal with medieval cookery, I live on a
> close budget. Too, the flour made by me would be more course than if I
> buy it ready made. I think my flour would be more like it was in the
> medieval period.

I think the texture of the flour would depend entirely on the grinding
process. In some cases, I can try to make barley flour or barley groats,
but I'm pretty sure the mill I'm using isn't going to duplicate the effect
of milling the grain between stones. While stone-ground, unsieved flours
are often more coarse than roller-ground flours, even metal burr flour
grinders don't always give the fineness one would like for barley; using
other types of non-flour grinders can give worse results, or better.

We tend to think of medieval flours as more coarsely ground than our
modern ones, but sometimes we overstate. (Like the people who want to use
'cracked' mustard in their mustard recipes, instead of grinding it.)

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net