[Sca-cooks] Chickpea and Barley Flour

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 28 19:22:45 PST 2008

Emmer (Triticum dicoccum) was the general use wheat from somewhere around
7000 BCE until between 500 and 800 CE, when it was replaced by club wheat
(Triticum compactum) for greater yields and easier threshing and milling.
What you will find in the health food stores will some variant of Triticum
aestivum, of which compactum is a subspecies with some 1500 varieties.  If
you want to try something close to Medieval, look for yellow or white
berries, unless they are one of the new hybrids, these will have more starch
and less protein.

You might also try spelt (Triticum spelta), which is higher in protein and
mills coarser than T. aestivum.

Bear