[Sca-cooks] I need helpful suggestions

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Wed Jan 30 10:53:38 PST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:38:28 -0800 (PST)
  Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hroar and I are going to Estrella this year.  However,
>it is a 10 hour drive for us one way
> and we are going to have to drive all night.

my husband is a hot shot delivery guy and used to do OTR
trucking.  i worked for an OTR trucking company for about
5 years. i have gone on some long yet quick hauls with
connor in the past few years (albq to dallas last
christmas eve - departed albq 2 p.m., got to dallas by 8
a.m. even with a layover).

here are thinks i have learned...

rest up ahead if you have warning.  don't tire yourself
out before you start

take little naps on the way if you need them.  that's what
rest stops are for.  your life isn't worth getting the
load there on time.  stretch and shake out the bugs.

have a refreshing wet washcloth in a ziplock and wipe your
face often.

don't laugh ... vick's vaporub or eucalyptus under your
nose or suck on a methol-eucalyptus cough drop or any
sharp flavored thing.

be careful of old trucker tricks - many of them were
stomp-damn dangerous!

some gool ole irish music like the chieftans or clancey
brothers (i like enya but she is NOT for long hauls).
 sing along.  loud and with abandon if not well. 8)

connor swears by skittles and red bull.  together.  ick!
 but it works for him.  and generates a helluva sharp
smell.

we have learned over the years not to press it if we don't
have to.  we start in albuquerque, but will usually lay in
overnight in deming (or lordsburg) and get a zero dark
thirty start the next a.m. for the second half.

oh, and for anyone who ever goes through deming, new
mexico, the deming truck stop has THE BEST biscuits and
gravy!  lots of it and inexpensive, too.

safe travels.  i'll see you there if i can find you and
say howdy-doo!

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico