[Sca-cooks] What is this?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 12:46:46 PST 2008

Dragon wrote:
> Saint Phlip wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine over in the UK found this in an old blacksmithing
>> shop he's taken over. The guy who was there tended to hoard things, so
>> it may or may not have anything to do with smithing. I swear I've seen
>> something similar, but can't remember where, so I figured I'd ask you
>> guys, in case y'all might have an idea ;-) One suggestion was a ham
>> holder, so it might be food related. The horns do slide up and down
>> the central bar, and I think it's (real) wrought iron, dated to
>> Victorian times.
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=87544&id=16076225390
>>
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> My theory is it is a hook for holding large hunks of meat in a
> butcher's shop or large fish in a fishmonger's.
>
> Other than that, I have nothing.
>
> Dragon
I'm trying to imagine its use in other trades apart from cookery... a
weapon?  A thing for hanging a hank of flax to be spun?  I'm not coming
up with much either.

Show it to cooks and they will come up with cookery.  Maybe you should
show this to weavers, farmers, and yes, how about other blacksmiths?

Selene