[Sca-cooks] dinner impossible

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:17:58 PST 2008

The Maryland Ren Faire is similar to other fairs of its nature around the
country.  It is a commercial venture that the SCA has nothing to do with,
other than some of its local members providing some entertainment, services,
etc...but not as representatives of the SCA.  I'm not sure how he came to be
at this faire, but it is one of the larger fairs of its sort, so that may
have had something to do with it.

Kiri (lives about 45 minutes from the Ren Faire site)

On Jan 31, 2008 5:07 PM, Ang Malone <alm4cu at localnet.com> wrote:

> Hello.  I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I've seen some
> comments so here goes mine.
>
> This was a local Maryland Medieval festival.  I don't think it had
> anything to do with the SCA.
>
> The rules for Chef Irving was this:  he could  only use medieval
> tools to cook.  So the knives he had weren't the best, he cooked over
> open fires and in an outside oven thing.  He had to grind spices with
> a mortar and pestle.  There were lots of New world foods and
> techniques, such as thickening with flour.  Although they had him use
> an "old fashion flour" to make the ravioli pasta, but they didn't
> care about other new world ingredients or techniques,  it was a
> little weird, at least for me after cooking the SCA for so long.
>
> I wish they would've said more about where/how this organization was
> and why they picked him.  Maybe it says so on the website.
>
> BTW, later on at the end he did have a kilt with a nice period like
> white shirt.  Really looked nice!
>
>        Angeline

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                   -- C.E. Lawrence