[Sca-cooks] Weights for spices? Apothecary or Standard for other Food?

Marion McNealy m_mc_nealy at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 12:34:54 PST 2008

Hi, I just joined this list after hearing about it for years from various friends.

I'm attempting to recreate several Lebkuchen recipes out of Sabina Welserin's cookbook, written in 1553 in Augsburg. I'm using the original Middle High German text found at Thomas Gloning's site, http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/sawe.htm , because in the English translation weights and measurements for the ingredients don't match up with the period amounts.

In my research, I've been looking into the weights and measures used for various ingredients, and there I've run into a snag. What was used for spices? Apothecary weights or regular weights for food?

Thanks for any help,
Sophia