[Sca-cooks] The country mouse and the city mouse

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:06:23 PST 2008

Christianna wrote:
> I am interested in the version you quoted though, when was that written?  I had forgotten how much the food played a part in this story.  The tag line for the popular version of Aesop is "Better beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear".  Your version mentioned fava beans.  What other foods are in that version?

Food is the basis of my version and the country mouse and city mouse
only invite each other to eat, nothing more.
My version is from the _Libro de Buen Amor_ by Juan Ruiz, Archpriest of
Hita verses 1370a-1384d, written before 1330.
Foods mentioned are: fava bean from the country mouse; from the city
mouse - a lot of  -: cheese, fresh unsalted bacon, quality chicken fat
and baked bread. Also mentioned is honey.
Don't know what the tag line would be here as Ruiz goes on 6 for verses
preaching the 'nobility of poverty'.
Suey