[Sca-cooks] kneeling benches

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 16:06:52 PST 2008

In a message dated 1/7/2008 11:48:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

<<Is this one, or the one made for the East (?) Kingdom based on  a
period piece or on period illustrations? Or is this just an  SCA
creation?  If the former, I'd love a how-to article on this  for other
kingdoms/baronies etc. to use in creating their  own.>>

As far as the one for the East, I don't know if the overall pattern is
period or not.  It was the work of three people - I did the embroidery,  which is
wool on linen using period stitches (primarily outline/stem and split  stitch
as I recall) and colors which were noted as popular on Norse things where  the
color could be identified.  The beast is the Eastern Tyger modified to  look
more like one of the more famous Norse gripping beast carvings (dang, can't
remember which one) with twining foliage around it.
Another person did the shaping of the pieces, and I do not know what his
inspiration was.  The third did the carving on the end pieces which were  also
based on extant Norse artwork.

Brangwayna Morgan