[Sca-cooks] Pepper Mill: A Puzzle

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 12 19:47:25 PST 2008

I've encountered a rather interesting quote, "Have a pepper mill and a hand
mill."  This is attributed to Alexander Neckham (AKA Alexander of Neckham,
Alexander Neqham, etc.,etc.,etc.) from an account of his travels in England
and France in approximately 1180.  The quote is taken from U.T. Holmes,
Daily Living in the Twefth Century, Based on the Observations of Alexander
Neckham in London and Paris (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1952)
as presented in Amt, Emilie, Women's Lives in Medieval Europe: A Sourcebook,
Routledge, 1993.

The hand mill is probably, but not necessarily, a saddle quern.  What is the
pepper mill?  A mortar and pestle, or some more interesting device?  I
haven't had much luck finding any further information.

Any ideas?

Bear