[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 16 09:21:51 PST 2008

In general, I would agree with you, but given a 1000+ year span, word usage
changes.  In the 14th Century these would likely be the hand raised mold of
dough, by the late 16th Century, the dish to hold the pie and possibly crust
is included.  Modernly, these usages are considered archaic and obsolete.

Bear

I always assumed these types of pies were made without pans, using a thick
stand-alone crust (sometimes made with rye flour) that was not intended to
be eaten.  That way the cook could make any shape he wanted, such as a fish
or a lobster.  Robert May, although post period (1685), has a number of pie
designs throughout his cookbook that would have to be made free-hand.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.