[Sca-cooks] Bread Bowls

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 05:47:27 PST 2008

It's outside of faires or SCA, but as a food trend, some diners and other establishments around here like serving soups in bread bowls. I have to say that this one diner's baked potato soup in a bread bowl is spectacular, and eating that soup=soaked sourdough bread is yummy.

At the Renaissance faire near where I grew up, for a few years there was a guy who ran a stand that served cheese and fruit in bread bowls (and you'd get the cut up chunks of bread hollowed out from the middle of your loaf). Tasty lunch, yes. Authentic? No, but better than gumbo in a bread bowl ...

The whole thing strikes me as a 1970s thing, really.

Gianotta