[Sca-cooks] Bread Bowls

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 06:20:32 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Christiane wrote:

> It's outside of faires or SCA, but as a food trend, some diners and
> other establishments around here like serving soups in bread bowls.
> I have to say that this one diner's baked potato soup in a bread
> bowl is spectacular, and eating that soup=soaked sourdough bread is
> yummy.
>
> At the Renaissance faire near where I grew up, for a few years there
> was a guy who ran a stand that served cheese and fruit in bread
> bowls (and you'd get the cut up chunks of bread hollowed out from
> the middle of your loaf). Tasty lunch, yes. Authentic? No, but
> better than gumbo in a bread bowl ...
>
> The whole thing strikes me as a 1970s thing, really.

One of the things I saw among the 40,000-odd hits in Google for "in a
bread bowl" was somebody's blog, with photos, detailing an evening of
fine dining, which apparently included penne with lobster in a bread
bowl (they thought it was kind of funny, too, in a carby sort of way).
They then went on to ask themselves if their evening could get any
more self-indulgent, which is apparently where the photo of the pint
flask of Henessy and the package of "King Size" Reese's Peanut Butter
Cups, "Elvis Edition", with banana cream, comes in...

Adamantius, suddenly and inexplicably craving mashed potatoes, bacon
and sauerkraut. And cognac... probably not going to any of those
places...