[Sca-cooks] Bread Yeasts

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 06:52:15 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> from another list that I monitor, there is a suggestion that
> brewerys and bakerys in the Abby were located close together and
> further suggested that the wort: juice from unfermented beer mash:
> (what we called 'squeezins') was used as yeast for the making of
> bread.
>
> Anybody ever hear of this?

Well, the problem there is that wort that isn't inoculated with yeast
won't do the trick, and once it is inoculated, it's ale. To some
extent or other.

What you really want is, as Femke suggests, barm, which is the still-
active yeasty foam skimmed off the top of top-fermenting ales.

> Anybody ever try it?

Sure. It works fine, with variations and quirks probably associated
with when you catch it, how long you then leave your bread to proof,
etc.

Adamantius