[Sca-cooks] Zervelat update

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 18 08:22:14 PST 2008

I'm making another attempt at period sausage this weekend
and I think I might get it right this time. I'm making Zervelat,
which is a spiced German sausage made from pork, hard
cheese, bacon and aromatic spices.

Last night Elizabeth and I visited a local Oriental market and
found what I think could be the correct cuts of meat. The
first is a cut of "bacon" that has very thick and firm fat with
some skin and a 10 lb shoulder. The bacon appears to be
mainly uncured so I would suppose it to be pork belly. The
counterman didn't speak English very well so it was hard to
exchange info.

I'm using German black bacon for smokeyness and a cave aged
Emmentalier as the cheese.

I'll post the results when I get through making it this weekend.

Gunthar