[Sca-cooks] Coffyn pan and bread bowls

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 11:31:11 PST 2008

We seem to have wandered far afield from the original discussion.  My contention is that one does not need a mold to make a coffin pastry, and to use a mold defeats the raison d'etre for making an inedible standing crust.  I agree that not all pie crusts were meant to be inedible.  I don't know enough about period cookware to know if they had pans you could bake a pie in and then remove it, to serve it free-standing.  It would be interesting to see how stiff a paste you can make that would still be edible.  As to bread bowls...why do we use them today (I'm not clear as to their purpose)?  If you want period portable food, have a meat pie.  Rastons certainly present an argument for filling rolls with butter soaked bread, but translating that into a larger-than-a-roll piece of bread filled with stew is a bit of a stretch.

Nancy Kielnancy_kiel at hotmail.comNever tease a weasel!This is very good advice.For the weasel will not like itAnd teasing isn't nice.

-