[Sca-cooks] Bread Yeasts

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 19 12:40:01 PST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>> On Jan 19, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Susan Fox wrote:
>>

>>> little modern homemaker
>>>

>> Hmmmm. Are we engaged in an act of size discrimination here??? Some
>> modern homemakers, regardless of their pastry capabilities, are quite
>> large... ;-)
>>
>> Adamantius (as you were... move along,,, nothin' ta see here)
>
> I was avoiding the term "Suzie Homemaker" since my given name
> happens to
> be Susan and I'm short but not slender.  Just saying.

My lady wife's given name is Susan, and her family name is Wong. She
does not like being called Suzy. Nor Sue, for that matter. She becomes
unhappy. She will let you know how unhappy she is, if necessary, in
ways that will make you share the unhappiness in very deep, personal
ways.

Now she, in terms of physical dimensions, is rather small by most
standards. But that doesn't mean it's wise to tick her off
gratuitously... ;-). Her ancestors are from the South of China; she is
from the South of the Bronx, in the days when that meant something.

But yes, there's a pretty consistent thread in the various echelons of
industrial, professional, or even just high-end, food service, of
speaking ill of "housewives". A typical line from even most cooking
schools today would probably be, "Don't do that that way -- that's how
a housewife does it. What are you, Betty Crocker?"

Adamantius (with apologies to any Elizabeth Crockers out there)