[Sca-cooks] Bohemian Baba

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:12:52 PST 2008

Terry Decker wrote:
> White peas are Lathyrus sativus AKA white vetch, Indian pea, Indian vetch, almorte (Sp.), alverjon (Sp.)...
The Spanish is almorta and there is and accent over the "o" in alverjon.
> Modernly, they are still used in Italy and a few of the Mediterranean countries,...

They are produced in Spain, principally in Leon and Ciudad Real where it
is used like chickpeas and fava beans.
You might be interested in the following:
It is difficult to digest but harmless unless one has a steady diet of
it, I was surprised to learn, that it causes an illness called
"lathyrism." Basically this is a Vitamin A deficiency causing pain
radiating to the legs, spasmodic contractions, muscular weakness and
paraplegia. This has a tendency of becoming chronic. As a result of the
famine after the Spanish Civil War in the 20^th C., Spaniards contracted
this disease. Still today, many recall that life for suffers was worse
than death.
Suey