[Sca-cooks] A question pardon if it has been asked

Daniel Myers edoard at medievalcookery.com
Sat Jan 19 17:16:06 PST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 9:34 AM, margaret wrote:

> That makes me wonder about how long bread in milk has been used for
> infants
> and the ill. I've read about it in Victorian books but not before
> then.

I know I've seen early recipes for milktoast for the sick, but I
can't find them at the moment.

Here's what I could quickly find:

For to make Soopys. Recipe fyne almond mylk standyng, & colour it
with safron and a porcyon of hony; then take shyves of brede tostyd &
wete tham in whyte wyne or rede, & dresse the shyves in a dysh, &
boyle in a lityll of the mylk, & cast theron, & strew theron sugure,
& serof.  [MS Harley 5401 (Thomas Awkbarow's Recipes), ]

Gelis of Mylk. Recipe gode almond mylk or swete cow mylk, & colour it
wele with saferon; than take wastell brede & cut it on small pecis, &
set mylk on the fyre, & when it is in poynt to seth cast the brede
therin & let it bole, & serof.  [MS Harley 5401 (Thomas Awkbarow's
Recipes), ]

XL - Milk. Let it seethe. Add rosewater and sugar. Cut bread finely
and pour the milk over it. [Koge Bog, Denmark, 1616 (Martin Forest,
trans.)]

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)