[Sca-cooks] Cheese Please!

charding at nwlink.com charding at nwlink.com
Mon Jan 21 17:33:04 PST 2008

Hi,
First, are you planning on making all these cheeses yourself? I would love
to know where are you getting the recipes for these? Mozzarella I know,
but some of the others I am  not familiar with.

I would start by estimating how much cheese you want to end up with and
then figure out how much milk you'll need. For example, many cheeses yield
about 10-14% by volume of milk. so if you were using a 3-4 pound mold to
make the cheese, you would need at least 2.5 gallons of milk  per mold.

Also if you are planning to age the cheese, under what conditions do they
age/ Temperature and humidity, waxed or unwaxed, etc.

Sounds like a fun project.

I get much of my supplies of rennet and cultures from Cheesemaking.com or
leeners.com

Maeva
Barony of Glymm Mere, AnTir

Whose little cheese cave is full of proto goat brie and white mold is
covering everything in the cave. (My cave is a wine cooler.)