[Sca-cooks] White Pizza- OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 27 08:36:41 PST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> Oddly enough, it is likely the arduous labor costs of manning a small
> restaurant with an added 'skill' guy to make this sort of a la
> minute dish
> servable to many people.  Smaller places around the country had to
> come up
> with something that didn't require the skill and time for that sort
> of thing
> to work . . . can't have a generic $10 kitchen manager direct the
> traffic to
> get that sort of finesse dish out in time to avoid the inevitable
> glue ball.
> A horrible trade-off, but one that people started accepting.

I can see doing that in a restaurant setting. In fact, when it was my
job to make "Caesar Salad Dressing" two quarts or more at a time (and
serve it), I was very good at it, if I say so myself. But it's just
not the same, and I'm a little bothered by the blurring of the tactics
some people employ out of necessary expedience, with the norm, and in
fact the only way anybody knows; this is the death of soul food in all
forms.

I also think Americans have been conditioned to accept the concept of
"sauce" as something that invariably goes with pasta, and not as a
potential ingredient in a pasta dish; that pasta can be a meal if you
only had some sauce. Probably a comment on the quality of the pasta
we're eating...

Adamantius