[Sca-cooks] The use of sumac in medieval Arabic cooking

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jan 30 06:17:33 PST 2008

You can search it through medievalcookery.com and find that it's mentioned
oddly enough by Charles Perry.
This is an excerpt from *An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook*
(Andalusia, 13th c. - Charles Perry, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website
<http://daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm>The
Customs that Many People Follow in Their Countries. Many are fond and
inclined toward foods that others detest, and this is why the people of
Yemen cook with dates ...[one word missing]... and like nothing better;
the Persians cook rice with sumac ...

Johnnae