[Sca-cooks] Dinner Impossible

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:06:31 PST 2008

> I watched the episode where he was cooking someplace
>similar to the Henry Ford, using the fire and weight-turned spit,

I believe it was Colonial Williamsburgh.

> but it was all modern recipes.> I think he'd be TOTALLY thrown off by having to do period-ish
>food and seasonings :)

I don't think he did a bad job considering what he had to
work with. I doubt many of us could have done as well
being thrown into such a situation.

And his efforts appeared to please the reenactor judges well
enough.

I like Robert Irvine and truly respect his skills as a chef. He
also combines that pefect combination of ruthlessness, humor,
and skill that makes for a good top end chef.

I doubt he could do a good 12th Night in a period manner because
that takes years of studying to understand even one of the
cuisines we recreate. So unless he had a recipe book and the
groceries pre-bought as well as someone deeply knowledgable
in the cuisine of the period, he would just do what he knows.
I'm sure it would still be pretty awesome.

> Ilsebet

Gunthar