[Sca-cooks] The Humors, Ginger and Meats

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jan 30 15:05:22 PST 2008

Some beef recipes. I don't have Platina to hand, unfortunately, so I can't
check what he says about either ginger or beef.

YIS,

Margaret FitzWilliam of Kent

Taillevent says beef is eaten with garlic sauce.

Menagier:

"And if you wish to make a piece of beef taste like venison of deer or
bear, if you are in bear country, take numble or leg of beef, then parboil
and lard it, spit and roast; and let it be eaten with (a sauce of) wild
boar's tail. Let the beef be parboiled, then lard it along its length and
cut into portions, and then put the hot boar's tail (sauce) in a dish over
your beef which first is roasted or boiled in boiling water and taken out
soon, for this is more tender than deer.

BEEF Like BEAR VENISON. A leg of beef. Do it in a black sauce of ginger,
clove, long and grain pepper, etc. And put in each bowl, two pieces, and
it will taste like bear."

"Sirloin of Beef. Cut strips of meat from the leg of beef, and wrap inside
marrow and beef fat: spit, roast and eat with salt."

"BEEF PASTIES. Have good young beef and remove all the fat, and the less
good parts are cut in pieces to be used for stock, and then it is carried
to the pastry-cook to be chopped up: and the grease with beef marrow.

The meat of a leg of beef is sliced up and put in pastry; and when the
pastry is cooked, it is appropriate to throw a wild duck sauce into it."

[wild duck sauce]
"SAUCE TO BOIL IN PIES OF YOUNG WILD DUCK, DUCKLING, YOUNG RABBIT OR WILD
RABBIT. Take lots of good cinnamon, ginger, clove, grains, half a nutmeg
and mace, galingale, and grind very well, and soak in half verjuice and
half vinegar, and the sauce should be clear. And when the pie is just
about done, throw this sauce inside it and return to the oven to boil
once.

(Note that the young wild duck are those which cannot yet fly until they
have felt the August rain.)

And note that in winter you put more ginger in so it will be stronger in
spice, for in winter all sauces should be stronger than in summer."