[Sca-cooks] one-trick ponies

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jan 30 19:44:31 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 9:22 PM, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Well, what about a can opener. That's pretty much a one-trick pony,
> but it's awfully hard to find a good substitute.

Would be, if all it opened was, say, anchovy cans, buy considering the
rather wide variety of foods that a can-opener opens, I wouldn't
really call it a one trick pony ;-) However, if all it opened was
vegetable cans, you wouldn't have one in the house ;-)

> <<< Saint Phlip
>
> Heat it up
> Hit it hard
> Repent as necessary. >>>
>
> Nah. I think that is a poor substitute for a can-opener. :-)
>
> Stefan

Well, depends. If you heated a can up and hit it with a hammer, it
would be a bit of a mess. OTOH, any good smith has brains enough to
heat up a piece of steel and turn it into a can opener- and then
reheat the metal and turn it into something else, if they've a mind
to. Or, most smiths tend to do as I do, and keep a Swiss Army knife,
or a multi-tool handy for such purposes. Among other things, the
pliers on a multi-tool are handy for turning a scroll, if you're in a
hurry.