[Sca-cooks] What happens when I read too fast (was Re: The use of sumac in medieval Arabic cooking)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 07:56:10 PST 2008

Knew I should have looked in the Florilegium first!

I do have al-Baghdadi at home, but had only briefly skimmed the meat recipes before asking my question. A funny thing happens when I read too fast and too focused: if I am looking for "sumac" and the actual word in the text is "sumach" — my brain completely skips over it.

This is why I have to do two reads of anything I copy edit at work; once to zoom in on and eliminate the style errors I know particular writers repeatedly make; the second to slow down and read everything.

Thanks again, everyone!

After looking at the spicing of the medieval Arabic recipes, I am going to try varying that chicken couscous recipe I posted earlier by adding some cinnamon and coriander to it. I really like "tart" tastes, so the first time when I threw this together and used vinegar to deglaze the pan, I was in heaven. Actually, the vinegar was sort of desperation move, I was out of white wine.

What this really is, is a one-pan dinner for weeknights when I want a good dinner in half an hour or less. I would imagine it would be good for a camping dinner too.

Gianotta