[Sca-cooks] What is this?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 31 13:06:05 PST 2008

--On Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:56 PM -0800 Dragon
<dragon at crimson-dragon.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell exactly how large it is from
> the photos with nothing to judge against. However, if I am not
> mistaken, it looks pretty large to me and would be extreme over-kill
> for that application.
>
> Two other things occurred to me though... One was it might be a
> grappling hook but then there is no way to attach a rope and the
> hooks are not bent in the right direction. The other was as a hook
> for hanging mailbags, possibly in a railroad mail car. (Apart from
> being a cook, and an SCA member, I am also into sailing ships and
> railroads, particularly steam locomotives).

If you expand the fourth picture, you'll see the object next to it is a
notebook -- so we're talking fairly sizable, but not gigundous (20" long,
perhaps?)

I think it might attach to something else both at the end with the nuts and
the end with the point (you'll notice a slot down there). Still no idea
what it might be, though.

toodles, margaret