[Sca-cooks] The country mouse and the city mouse

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 6 20:47:08 PST 2008

Well, it is an Aesop's fable:

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse is a fable attributed to Aesop(620–560
BC).

In the story, a proud town mouse visits his cousin in the country. The
country mouse offers the city mouse a meal of simple country foods, at which
the visitor scoffs. He takes the country mouse back to the city to show him
the "fine life". But their city meal of cakes and jellies was interrupted by
a couple of dogs which forced the mice to abandon their feast and scurry to
safety. After this, the country mouse promptly returns to the country, and
says:

"Better beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear"
(obligatory food content - thanks to Wikipedia)

As an aside, it is one of my earliest memories of my mom, sitting on the
side of my bed and telling me that story, along with her own embellishments.

:)
Christianna

Suey poses the question:
    Is it known who wrote the first fable on this subject? I was reading
the Archpriest of Hita's version today. It is lovely. He mentions the
love for the simple fava bean. The country mouse feels it is better to
have little and appreciate it then to have much if one fears death as
the city mouse. For him life is bitter and dangerous. He, therefore,
cannot enjoy his dinner table filled with rich foods for he views them
as poison against him or at least that is how I interpret it: Ruíz/Brey.
1965:370a-1384d:211-213.
    After I annotated my interpretation a friend called requesting the
reference of the M.D.who helped me so much for my back because his wife
is dying of hunger =-O ! Shoot, tell me more about the country and city
mouse. Is my interpretation correct or can we improve on it?
    All sounds odd for yesterday I was looking at Maimoides - he said: a
happy person is a healthy person. Nostalgia for death implies denial for
the living. Another reference states: Today always commences in your
favor, its up to you to blow it.
    Suey