[Sca-cooks] Problems with sausage

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 7 10:21:40 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
< < < < I want it to not only taste right but have a much better texture.
So, I guess I need to experiment and add a much higher percentage
of pork fat. Perhaps I'll use salt pork instead of bacon or at least
less bacon since I still want that smoky flavor from the German
black bacon. > > > > > >

I use fresh belly whenever I can get it.  It is predominately adipose
tissue, and little lean meat to get in the way.  Fresh belly won't add
extraneous sat or smoke or other flavors, giving me total seasoning control.
Your meat guy should be able to put you onto it.  If nothing else, ask for
stray pork trimmings.  It gives you a variety of fatty tissues to add to the
mix.  I aim at 60% to 65% lean in my sausage, and cook to just a little past
medium.  No pricks in the casings.

niccolo difrancesco