[Sca-cooks] Coffee mill documentation needed

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 11 09:32:19 PST 2008

AFAIK, the period coffee grinder was a mortar and pestle.  While coffee is
documentable as a medicine to about 900 CE.  It's use as a commercial
beverage begins in the 15th Century and doesn't reach Europe until the last
quarter of the 16th Century.  Mechanical grinders are a somewhat newer
creation.

The best source for the historical information about coffee utensils is
Ukers, All About Coffee, originally published around 1922, updated and
reissued about 10 years later.  This was the bible of the American coffee
industry.  There is a modern reprint, but very pricey.  Try ILL first.  The
Oklahoma State Library has a copy of the second edition.

Bear