[Sca-cooks] Weights for spices? Apothecary or Standard for otherFood?

m_mc_nealy at yahoo.com m_mc_nealy at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 10:06:10 PST 2008

Thanks for the answer.
I went with an Apothecary pound of 0.793652 pounds  or  360g,  based on information  in William Alfred  Browne, The Merchants' Handbook of Money,
Weights and Measures, with Their British Equivalents. London: Edward Stanford, 1879.  on google books  http://books.google.com/books?id=GJABAAAAQAAJ, page 185.

This gives a 15g value for a loth, and its been working well so far in the recipes for sugar and spices, and using the historical values listed for Augsburg for the other ingredients. I found them in Universal Dictionary of Weights and Measures, Ancient and Modern:  By John Henry Alexander
 http://books.google.com/books?id=LnUAAAAAMAAJ

-Sophia