[Sca-cooks] Coffyn Pan?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 17 15:30:56 PST 2008

Doc wrote:
>There is clear evidence that the crusts in period were sometimes
>intended to be eaten, that they were not always thick, and that they
>were sometimes made with fine flour instead of rye. I've collected a
>number of recipes and pictures on the subject, and have them online
>at the URL below.
>http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/piecrust.shtm

What a superb web page!  Just the thing I was always hoping someone would
do.  While I don't disagree that people could have eaten some of the
missing crusts that are pictured there, I don't think that that is what
necessarily happened.  If the pie were broken into and the crust was not
edible, would it really have been left on the serving dish?  I would
surmise that it might have been removed and given to the poor - or to
whomever the leftovers went.

Alys K.

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com